Sports Massage Birmingham
Despite its name, sports massage is not only for those who take regular exercise. All of us are likely to suffer from muscular tension or discomfort at some point in our lives. Sitting hunched over a computer, driving all day, lifting heavy items, repetitive occupational activities, postural problems or even a trip or fall all result in muscular pain and tightness.
What are the effects of Sports Massage?
- Reducing muscular pain - Tension and waste products are a common cause of muscular pain. massage will help to reduce this in many ways including releasing the bodies endorphins.
- Relaxation - Muscles relax through heat generated, circulation and stretching. Mechanoreceptors which sense touch, pressure, tissue length and warmth are stimulated causing a reflex relaxation.
- Pumping - During
sport massagestroking movements are used, this helps fluid to pass through blood vessels and lymph vessels. This is important in tight or damaged tissue to help provide vital nutrients and energy to repair.
- Stretching - Massage can be used to stretch tissues that cannot usually be stretched. muscle fibers are
stretcheslengthways and sideways releasing any tension or pressure build up
- Break down scar tissue - Scar tissue is the result of previous injuries or trauma. these areas of tissues are inflexible and more prone to injury if left untreated.
- Improve tissue elasticity - Hard training can make tissues hard and inelastic. This is one reason why hard training may not result in improvements. Massage helps reverse this by stretching the tissues.
- Increased tissue permeability - Deep massage causes the pores in tissue membranes to open, enabling fluids and nutrients to pass through. This helps remove waste products such as lactic acid and encourage the muscles to take up oxygen and nutrients which help them recover quicker.
For regular athletes, sports massage can also provide a vital part of your training program. It can help to decrease your recovery time between training sessions or from an injury. For those needing some help alleviating stress, massage is believed to stimulate the nervous system triggering the release of endorphins (
At Harborne Chiropractic Clinic our sports massage sessions last from 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on what you want. Your massage is all about you and what is right for you so please do not ever feel that you have to put up with a pressure that is too heavy, or too light! Sports massage may be suggested as part of your chiropractic management program to ensure you get the most out of your visits.
Why choose Harborne chiropractic clinic for Sports Massage?
At Harborne Chiropractic your goals drive our massage therapy treatments. If you’re dealing with an injury, heavy training period or just simply experiencing back pain from long periods of sitting in front of a computer at work, we can provide specific massage therapy to help alleviate your aches and pains.
More about me: Will Lawton, Massage therapist
Having qualified with a BSC (Hons) Sport and Exercise therapist in 2014 my skill range not only limits me to sport
Most of my physical activity is based
When coming to see me at the clinic I will not only provide sports massage treatment, I will use my wide range of knowledge and skills to produce a rehabilitation program that best suits your needs. I am a friendly approachable individual who enjoys
Although sports massage is a deep tissue massage, it doesn’t have to be painful. At certain points during the
How does it work?
Sports massage helps to relieve chronic muscle tension or injury. It works by adding pressure deep into the muscles realigning muscle fibers and connective tissue, and flushing away toxins. Regular massage sessions will increase flexibility and mobility as well as
Can I have sports massage if I don’t play sport?
YES. Sports massage is for everyone. Our most common complaint is
How often should I get Sports Massage?
This depends on your lifestyle and activity levels. A person who is training for a marathon or plays a lot of sport is likely to benefit from more frequent
How soon after injury can I receive sports massage?
Approximately 48-72 hours after injury, depending on the severity. In the acute stages of an injury (first 48-72
Are there any side effects?
What to expect?What to expect from a sports massage is a question I am regularly asked. Most clients coming in for their first massage are usually nervous and wondering if it is the treatment for them. Here is what you can expect from your first Sports massage appointment.
When arriving for your first massage we will discuss the reason you have come in for the treatment. This will help to give me a better understanding of the problem and what the contributing factors may be. I will also ask you about your lifestyle, health issues, previous injuries and what you expect from the treatment, all these questions will help me to come up with the best treatment plan for you.
The first appointment will include an assessment
When the assessment is complete I will ask you to remove certain items of clothing, towels and gowns are provided to make you as comfortable as possible. It is advised to bring suitable clothing such as loose shorts with you to the session. During the
60 minutes - £45.00
30 minutes - £30.00